I always find a huge affinity between lychee and raspberries. And though they are both not in season, I tried to put them into a fruit tart.
True to its name, the pretty rough cookie crust has a lot of imperfections but it tastes so buttery and delicious. Unlike what I have made previously for my French apple tart, this is lying between a flaky and shortcrust. I do love this version more.
This recipe calls for fresh fruits. But in case you couldn't manage to find real fresh lychees, canned lychee are also great for substitution. Make sure to drain them very well as no one would want a soggy tart!
For the crust
1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
1 cup powdered sugar
8 tbsp cold salted butter
For the pastry cream
1/2 tbsp all purpose flour
1 tbsp cornstarch
1 tbsp Natvia
1 tsp vanilla
2/3 cup whole milk
For the toppings
Fresh lychee, pitted
Fresh mint, optional
How to make lychee raspberry fruit tart:
- To make the crust: In a bowl combine flour and powdered sugar. Cut butter cubes using a fork or pastry blender until dough resembles coarse meal. Beat egg and add it slowly, until dough comes together. You may not need all the liquid. Turn the dough onto a floured surface and roll into a disk. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 200C. Remove the dough onto a floured surface, roll into 8" circle and fit into tart pan. Blind bake for 15 minutes. And return to oven for another 15 minutes.
- Let the crust to cool completely before filling.
- To make pastry cream: In a medium bowl, mix Natvia and egg. Sift in corn flour and flour into the egg mixture. Mix until a smooth paste formed.
- Meanwhile, heat milk in a saucepan. Remove from heat and slowly add to egg mixture, while constantly whisking the egg to prevent curdling.
- Strain mixture through a sieve and return into the saucepan. Over medium heat, bring mixture to boil and whisk mixture constantly until it starts to thicken.
- Immediately remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Pour into a clean bowl and cover with plastic wrap touching the surface of custard. Refrigerate until needed.
- To assemble the tart, spread pastry cream evenly into the pie crust. Arrange lychees and raspberries. Decorate with fresh mint.
With all my love <3