Make 2 loafs
6 large eggs, at room temperature
1 cup caster sugar
1 cup + 2 1/2 tbsp bread flour
5 tbsp regular honey + 2 1/2 tbsp warm water
1 tbsp regular honey + 1/2 tbsp warm water
How to make your castella cake:
- Prepare your baking pans by cutting parchment paper to properly fit the pan. Spray loaf pans with non-stick cooking spray and spread evenly with pastry brush. Put parchment paper in pans and set aside. Make sure paper sticks to pans perfectly.
(You can also use a square pan if desired)
- Preheat oven to 160 C.
- Sift bread flour (I found it once is enough).
- Add 2 1/2 tbsp warm water to honey and whisk well.
- Crack eggs and with a stand mixer or hand-held mixer, whisk until combined. Add sugar, and beat on high speed until pale yellow and volume of eggs increased about 4 times. The texture should be thick and fall in ribbons.
- Add honey mixture and whisk to combine.
- Add bread flour at three separate times by 1/3 cup each. Whisk for 15 seconds for each addition and do not overmix.
- Pour batter into pans about 80% full and using skewer, draw zigzag line to remove air bubbles.
(Drop your mixing bowl on counter can help remove extra air bubbles.)
- Level batter in each pan, and drop pans on counter to future remove air bubbles.
- Bake for 35 minutes until golden brown and toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Leave in the oven for a few mintues and keep oven door ajar to allow sponge to flatten itself.
- Mix honey with warm water and brush the top of the cake generously with pastry brush.
- Invert your loafs on plastic wrap (top facing down), gently peel off the parchment paper and wrap the cake well.
(This keeps it moist and stay in shape.)
- Place in refrigerator overnight. To serve, slice off sides of cakes and cut into 1 inch thick slices.
- To store, wrap individual pieces with plastic wrap and freeze up to a month or keep in fridge up to 5 days.
With all my love <3