This chocolate cake is absolutely a chocolate heaven. With the extraordinary Nutella ganache, the slices are brought to a whole new level. It is slightly a cakery cake, which might disappoint some of the fudgy cake fans out there. However, I still like how it taste like a cakery brownie. You can optionally sprinkle some nuts over to add extra crunchiness. And to make it kid-friendly, just omit the alcohol.
1 cup all purpose flour + ½ tsp baking soda (substitute with 1 cup self-rising flour)
¼ cup + 2 tbsp good quality cocoa powder
¼ tsp salt
½ cup oil
1 ¼ cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
½ cup hot milk (substitute with hot water)
1 tbsp Kauhlua, optional
¾ cup Nutella
½ cup heavy cream
1 tsp salt
How to make chocolate slice with ganache:
- Preheat oven to 180C. Prepare 8x8 baking pan, spray it with non stick cooking spray and line it with parchment paper, set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, cocoa, and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, add oil, sugar, eggs, vanilla, milk and Kauhlua if using. Mix until well combined.
- Pour the wet into the dry ingredients and mix until just incorporated. Do not overmix.
- Pour cake batter into prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Let cool on wire rack completely.
(It is crucial to let the cake cool down thoroughly before coating with ganache.)
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, heat heavy cream until just started to bubble, pour the hot cream into Nutella, add salt, and let stand for 5 minutes. Whisk well until smooth.
- Let ganache cool down and not warm to touch. Pour the ganache over cake, let stand at room temperature until it starts to thicken and no longer runny. Store the cake in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours. Slice and serve.
(You can sprinkle nuts over if desire)
With all my love <3