In spite of lemons are not in season, it is not a bad idea to use up some poppy seeds at home for these little muffins. They are lemony and smells like a natural body mist. Try this easy recipe!
2/3 cup caster sugar
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
2 cup self-rising flour
3/4 cup plain yogurt
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
2 tbsps poppy seeds
blueberry jam for filling, optional
How to make lemon poppy seed muffins:
- Preheat oven to 200C. Prepare muffin tray, line it with paper muffin cups.
- In a large bowl, rub sugar and lemon zest together until moist and fragrant. Whisk in flour, set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together plain yogurt, eggs, vanilla, melted butter. Add wet ingredient into the dry and stir until just combined. Fold in poppy seeds.
(Don't worry if there are lumps in the batter, never overmix the batter.)
- Divide batter evenly among muffin cups, fill with blueberry jam if using.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until the tops are golden and toothpick inserted into centre comes out clean. Transfer to wire rack to cool for 5 minutes and remove muffins from mold.
- Drizzle lemon glaze if desire. (1 cup powdered sugar + 1-2 tbsp lemon juice)
With all my love <3