Swiss rolls are basically sheet cake being rolled up and normally filled with whipped cream, jelly, or cream cheese. And my tiramisu version has combined my favourite italian pudding in it. It is a scrumptious family-style dessert for gathering and party.
I love making cake rolls and last Christmas I made my first attempt at pumpkin swiss roll with creamy cheese filling. That recipe has a slighly different procedure because of the addition of pumpkin puree that ensure a moist texture, eggs aren't separated. I don't find any difficulty in achieving a spongy texture for the sheet cake as long as you separated the eggs and beat the egg whites so that the cake rises, and so this tiramisu version comes up. To stabilise the beaten egg white, I added cream of tartar, but it is optional. And you can try using AP flour instead to make a denser cake.
Make 1 cake roll
45g cake flour
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 egg yolks
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla
2 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar, optional
extra cocoa powder, for dusting
1/2 cup whipping cream
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tbsp rum
1/2 tbsp espresso powder
How to make tiramisu cake roll:
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line a 12 by 8 inch retangular tray with parchment paper, set aside.
- Sift flour, cocoa powder and baking powder twice.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk egg yolks, oil, milk and vanilla. Add dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Add cream of tartar, if using, and sugar. Beat until stiff peaks form.
- In 3 batches, fold egg whites into egg yolk mixture. Make sure mixture is mixed well in 3 increments.
- Pour cake batter into prepared baking tray. Smooth the surface evenly and bake in preheated oven for 12 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Let cool for 5 minutes. Turn the cake on another parchment paper dusted with cocoa powder. Remove the parchment paper on top and from the short end, roll it into a roulade while still warm. Let cool for 20 minutes.
- To make the filling, whip the cream with rum and espresso. Unroll the cooled cake and spread whipped cream evenly.
- Reroll into a cake roll and store in fridge until serve. Trim the two ends to make it looks prettier.
With all my love <3