Oh! This is probably the heaviest but most luscious green tea recipe I have ever made!
Using high quality matcha powder is crucial here. It makes a big difference if it doesn't present you the unique bitterness of matcha green tea. The dusting of green tea powder on top also added a slight contrast to the creamy, & sweet cheesecake.
For the crust, it is fine to use basic digestive or graham cracker crumbs. The almond bits in my biscuit has given a nutty base for the cheesecake. If you find it unnecessary, omit the sugar in the bottom crust.Enjoy this cake with a cup of hot roasted green tea now!
This post is part of the monthly link up party Our Growing Edge. This event aims to connect food bloggers and inspire us to try new things. This month is hosted by Jules at The Orange Bee.
Make 4 4'' mini cakes
1 cup almond biscuit crumbs
4 tbsp melted butter
3 tbsp granulated sugar
2 8oz packages cream cheese, room temperature
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tbsp all purpose flour
4 tbsp matcha powder
1/3 cup sour cream, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 large egg, room temperature
How to make matcha cheesecake:
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease and wrap exterior of cake tins with aluminium foil. Set aside.
- Crush almond biscuits into fine crumbs, add sugar, melted butter and stir to combine. Divide evenly among cake tins and pat down into even layer. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add cream cheese and beat until fluffy. Add sugar, flour and matcha powder. Whisk until combined. Add sour cream, vanilla and egg. Mix until smooth.
- Divide cream cheese filling evenly among cake tins. Place cake tins in a roasting pan and carefully ladle boiling water to form a bain marie.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until set but slightly wobbly in the center. Turn off oven, leave cake in oven with door slightly ajar for 45 minutes. Transfer to cooling rack to cool completely before refrigerating uncovered in the fridge overnight or at least 4 hours.
- To serve, remove from spring form and dust with extra matcha powder.
With all my love <3