Last bite of Fall before the Autumn goes.
No pumpkin pie, not pumpkin cheesecake, but a pumpkin chiffon cake.
Fruit based chiffon cake is promisingly moist and spongy. A dusting of powdered sugar makes this a little more sweeter, it would be a great pairing for your pumpkin spice latte or ginger tea.
Once again. Never attempt to use pumpkin pie filling for this recipe! But feel free to substitute pumpkin pie spice for the cinnamon/ginger/nutmeg.
This post is part of the monthly link up party Our Growing Edge. This event aims to connect food bloggers and inspire us to try new things. This month is hosted by Linda at The Orange Bee.
Make 7 inch cake
3 egg yolks
3 tbsp oil
4 tbsp whole milk
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
75g cake flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp baking powder
3 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
How to make pumpkin chiffon cake:
- Preheat oven to 170C.
- In a large bowl, whisk egg yolks and 1/3 of sugar. Add oil, milk, pumpkin puree and vanilla extract, mix well.
- Sift cake flour, spices and baking powder and add to egg yolk mixture. Whisk until incorporated without lumps.
- Using a stand mixer or electric hand mixer, beat egg whites till opaque and foamy. Add remaining sugar and cream of tartar. Beat until stiff peak forms.
- In 3 batches, fold egg whites into egg yolk mixture. Make sure mixture is mixed well in 3 increments.
- Pour mixture into ungreased chiffon cake pan. Tab the pan on the countertop to release air bubbles.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted into centre comes out clean.
- Cool the cake upside down on a tall heavy bottle. Leave to cool completely before removing the cake pan.
- Using an offset spatula or sharp knife, run it around the cake. Invert and flip onto serving plate.
With all my love <3